Can you Imagine a country that is roughly the size of Colorado and supports over 1,600 species of tropical birds – over 100 of which are hummingbirds, 4000 species of intricate orchids, hundreds of species of colourful frogs, dozens of species of primates and countless species of fascinating butterflies and insects. Imagine a country where you can visit pristine cloud-forests, beautiful beaches, snow capped mountains, and remote areas of the Amazon rainforest. Imagine that this country has relatively good roads, a well equipped tourism infrastructure, a stable government, and can be reached in less than 8 hours from most of North America.
Join Us for this Ecuador photography workshop and you can stop imagining, reach for your camera, and start photographing the unbelievable biological riches of this incredible South American country.
Our photo workshop starts in the cloudforest-covered slopes of northwest Ecuador where we will focus our efforts on photographing the amazing diversity of hummingbirds that live in the Tandayapa Valley region. Opportunities for macro photography will be equally incredible here. There will also be a few half day excursions from our base in NW Ecuador to photograph other fascinating subjects. After our three nights in the Tandayapa Valley we will move on back through the central valley to a great little hotel which will serve as a base to visit the fantastic Antisana reserve. Here we will find highland birds like the Black-faced Ibis and Ecuadorian Hillstar. From Antisana we will continue on to the opposite slope of the Andes for five days and nights to photograph a whole new set of species including the incredible Sword-billed Hummingbird, Shining Sunbeam, White-bellied Antpitta, Black-banded Owl and many others. We will take morning excursions to highland areas nearby to find exciting new species of Mountain-Tanagers, Flowerpiercers, more Antpittas and the incredible Torrent Duck. Workshop participants will learn techniques to lure birds to areas that are more ideal for image making. Up in the highlands we will also have amazing landscape photo opportunities. One can opt for amazon extension.
The following day those continuing on to the tour will board a plane for a scenic flight over the inter-Andean valley and down into the lowlands of Ecuador. After a night in the small town of Coca we will depart down the Napo River for 5 days of photographic adventures deep in the Amazon. We will spend our time photographing birds around a small lagoon and from a canopy tower. There will be caimans and awesome tree frogs everywhere and we will visit a spot where parrots visit each day to eat clay.
On this photo adventure we will focus on the following opportunities:
Multi-flash Hummingbird Photography: Learn techniques to use 4-6 flashes to achieve otherwise impossible flight photographs of these flying jewels. What makes this workshop special is that Rahul or Khushboo will be sharing his techniques for taking multi-flash images that actually look natural (unlike most others out there).
Using flash effectively as a source of fill light: Because tropical regions are often cloudy – it is extremely important to learn how to use flash – either as fill or as a main source of light. Participants will also learn how to do set-ups for birds using more than one flash. These skills can easily be taken home and applied in your very own backyard!
Attracting birds to a perch setup: Participants will learn strategies to attract birds to a given perch and how to achieve images that have attractive light, an outstanding perch and a smooth background.
Strategies for successful tropical photography: Rahul has spent over a decade photographing wildlife in the tropics and low light environment . Throughout the workshop Rahul and khushboo will share tips and tricks that he has learned along the way.
Macro photography of tropical insects and frogs: At each of our locations there will also be opportunities to find and photograph an amazing diversity of colourful frogs, butterflies and insects.
Spectacular cloudforest and Andean landscape photography: The cloudforests of Ecuador are spectacular places and the opportunities for landscape photography are superb. We will also keep our fingers crossed for a clear day up in the mountains where we may be able to see 3 snow-capped volcanoes that are each over 6000 meters high!
Digital Workshops: During the evenings for those who wish to participate, we will have image review sessions and talk about techniques and what we can expect to see the next day. In these post processing workshops participants will have ample opportunities to improve skills in Adobe Photoshop. Guided by Rahul Et Khushboo, participants can learn how to take their images from straight out-of-the-camera RAW images to stunning final works of art .
WHY TRAVEL TO COSTA IN RAHUL Et KHUSHBOO WORKSHOPS ?
- Rahul focuses on more personalized attention,instruction and guidance.
- Khushboo and rahul are regarded one of the India’s top professional photographers in bird photography.
- Team Incredible Birding often utilizes local guides with years of experience in their home areas.
- Rahul And Khushboo has more experience in bird photography than any one else in India. They has been to the places that they will take you – not for a week or two – but for months!! they knows where to get the best possible images and can show you how to achieve them.
- At the end of the day Our goal is simple – To give you the best possible photographic workshop.
- All expert photo instruction
- Local guides and drivers.
- All entrance fees to natural areas visited
- All accommodations, based on double occupancy
- All meals from the first morning of the tour to departure day
- Land transportation during workshop
- Airport transfers to hotel
- Bottled water for the duration of the workshop
Price does not include:
- International airfare to place of tour origin (San Jośe)
- Any additional nights accommodation outside of the tour dates
- Meals while in San Jose at the arrival hotel (arrival night)
- Additional tips for staff such as guides and camp staff
- Fees for passport, visas, immunisations and insurance
- Bar bills at lodges
- Laundry, phone and other items of a personal nature
- Cost of hospitalisation and evacuation if necessary
It is recommended that each participant bring the following equipment:
- A digital SLR and a lens of 300mm or greater.
- A wide angle lens (if you are interested in landscape photography)
- A tripod is highly recommended
- A flash or two (if you have more than one)
- Better beemer
- Flash bracket
- extra batteries .
Group Size – Six to eight with one or two Incredible Birding Scout .
CANCELLATIONS DUE TO WEATHER:
Our tours are dependant on weather and sea conditions so sometimes we need to cancel this tour due to winds in the main whale habitat area. Make sure to provide us with your contact details upon booking so we can contact you as soon as possible regarding any changes to your tour!
Best Month to visit : November to March
- Boarding and lodging for Tour duration
- All local fees
- Post processing workshop
- All planned activities and excursions as per the itinerary
- Services of a Photography Scout from Incredible Birding
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- All airfare and transfer expenses
- Any extra accommodation availed of outside the itinerary, before or after the Tour
- Visa expenses
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tours, extra meals and beverages ordered
- Insurance, laundry and phone calls
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Tips and gratuities
- Anything that is not included in the inclusions list
- All applicable taxes
- Atleast 50% of the Tour fee as booking amount (non-refundable)
- Atleast 80% of the Tour fee before six months of the expedition date.
- Remainder of the Tour fee before 2 months .
All figures per person.
- 20% of the of the Tour fee on or before 45 months prior to trip.
- 50% of the Tour fee on or before 15 days prior to trip .
- 100% of the Tour fee on or Before 7 days prior to trip .
All figures per person based on total amount of trip.
For Detailed schedule and day wise activities please send an email to our representatives .
Trip will start from San Jośe where participants will arrive from various places , and trip will end at Same destination .
Photo gallery From Ecuador Region