Visit The Puffins, The Skuas, The Auks and all the lively sea birds of Faxaflói Bay on our bird watching tours from Reykjavík´s Old Harbour.
The Puffin Watching tours with Special Tours, Puffin Express, have been popular for over 20 years! Our great experience, and especially designed boat, Skúlaskeið or “Old Skuli”, makes us the leading expert in the area. There are about 30.000 puffins nesting on the islands off the coast of Reykjavik and we are only a 15 minute boat ride away!
We sail out from the old harbour in Reykjavik and it only takes us about 15 minutes to reach the puffin island, Akurey. On the journey out you will be able to view Reykjavik from the seaside and the guide will also share information about the buildings & islands that can be spotted along the way.
The islands we visit are covered with small hills and slopes and both are well known for their colourful birdlife. The island’s shores are rocky but our boat Old Skuli is specially designed to take us as close to the islands as possible due to its shallow draft. When we arrive to the islands we turn off the engine so our passengers can observe the birds and the beautiful surroundings.
Our expert Scouts will tell you all the facts and fun stories about the cute puffins and other wildlife that might be seen on the tour.
The Atlantic Puffin is both captivating and peculiar. There are many reason why locals, artists and tourists alike are seduced by these brightly coloured seabirds. They are calm while nesting and can dig burrows with their beaks and wings..but seem manic in their flying style because of their small wings. Puffin wings can beat up to 440 times per minute. Their curious behaviours and unique appearance are a couple of the reason we are drawn to Iceland to catch a glimpse.
The Atlantic puffin travels to land in the summer to nest during the warmer months. We have the largest Atlantic puffin colony in the world, more than half the population comes to Iceland to nest in June, July and August. This is the best time to experience the birds and wildlife of the bay and islands just off the coast of Reykjavik. Puffins, Auks, Gannets along with an incredible variety of seabirds dominate the skies and sea cliffs just a few minutes sailing from the Old Harbor.
It is a unique and special experience to have them so close to land.
Best Time of the Year – June / July
Group Size – Six with one or two Incredible Birding Scout .
Cancellations due to weather:
Our tours are dependant on weather and sea conditions so sometimes we need to cancel this tour due to winds in the main whale habitat area. Make sure to provide us with your contact details upon booking so we can contact you as soon as possible regarding any changes to your tour!
- Boarding and lodging for Tour duration
- All local fees
- All planned activities and excursions as per the itinerary
- Services of a Photography Scout from Incredible Birding
What’s not included?
- All airfare and transfer expenses
- Any extra accommodation availed of outside the itinerary, before or after the Tour
- Visa expenses
- Any kind of personal expenses or optional tours, extra meals and beverages ordered
- Insurance, laundry and phone calls
- Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Tips and gratuities
- Anything that is not included in the inclusions list
- All applicable taxes
- Atleast 50% of the Tour fee as booking amount (non-refundable)
- Atleast 80% of the Tour fee before six months of the expedition date.
- Remainder of the Tour fee before 2 months .
All figures per person.
- 20% of the of the Tour fee on or before 45 months prior to trip.
- 50% of the Tour fee on or before 15 days prior to trip .
- 100% of the Tour fee on or Before 7 days prior to trip .
All figures per person based on total amount of trip.
For Detailed schedule and day wise activities please send an email to our representatives .
Trip will start from Reykjavik where participants will arrive from various places , and trip will end at Reykjavik .
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.